Alere Inc ALR
Summary (from latest annual and quarterly report)
- Total equity : 2.04 billion USD
- Market Cap is 4.3 billion USD ( last price of the stock is 48.86 USD)
- Alere Inc., formerly Inverness Medical Innovations, Inc., provides diagnostics and health management solutions. The Company's products and services are focused on infectious disease, cardiology, oncology, drugs of abuse and women's health
- Equity of total company decreased from 2.05 billion USD in 2015 to 2.04 billion in 2016
- Company has 566 million USD in cash on account (from latest 2016 quarterly report )
- Total equity – cash on account = 2.04 billion USD – 566 million USD = 1.47 billion USD
- ALR has 185 million USD treasury stock
- In 2016 company had 2.9 billion USD long-term debt, short – term debt was 41 million USD (from latest quarterly report ) (In 2015 total debt was 3.06 billion USD)
- In latest quarterly report - total equity decreased to 2.04 billion USD from 2.05 billion USD in 2015, total debt was 2.9 billion USD in 2016)
- Company's revenue decreased in 2015 (latest annual report) to 2.46 billion USD from 2.58 billion in 2014
- Net income in 2015 was 206 million USD, Net income in 2014 was 10 million USD
Opinion about the company
Fundamentally it is a not bad company (Total debt is big -2.9 billion USD, company has 566 million USD in cash on account, ROE is negative, around -4%).
Alere Inc., formerly Inverness Medical Innovations, Inc., provides diagnostics and health management solutions. The Company's products and services are focused on infectious disease, cardiology, oncology, drugs of abuse and women's health. Its brands range from over-the-counter tests to lab-based diagnostics to integrated home monitoring solutions. The Company's brands include Acceava Mono cassette, Alere Home Monitoring, AtheNA Multi-Lyte Test System, BinaxNOW, Cholestech LDX, Clearview iFOB Complete, Determine HBsAg, DoubleCheckGold and ImmunoComb.
Alere is a global company with major manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada, China, Germany, Japan, Norway, South Korea and the United Kingdom and significant research and development operations in the United States and Europe. Their distribution network supporting their professional diagnostics business includes offices in 32 countries.
Alere operates three business units focused on cardiometabolic, infectious disease, and toxicology testing. The company pioneers in manufacturing rapid point-of-care diagnostic tests and provides products to healthcare professionals and patients worldwide. Their professional diagnostic products are sold throughout the world. Their patient self-testing services are provided almost exclusively in the U.S. During 2015 and 2014, respectively, they generated approximately 56% and 53% of their net revenue from continuing operations from the U.S., approximately 18% and 21% from Europe and approximately 26% and 26% from other locations.
- Cardiometabolic diseas segment represents 34% of total revenues
- Infectious disease segment represents 30% of total revenues
- Toxicology segment represents 25% of total revenues
- Other segments represent 11% of total revenues
- Net revenue in the U.S. was approximately 56% and 53% of total net revenue for 2015 and 2014. Net revenue in the Europe was 26% of total net revenue for 2015.
In 2007, Alere entered into a joint venture, named Swiss Precision Diagnostics, with Procter & Gamble for the sales and marketing of its consumer diagnostics products.
ALR standalone subsidiaries and acquisitions:
- On July 10, 2015, ALR acquired substantially all of the assets of US Diagnostics for 60 million USD
- In 2013, the company completed the acquisition of Epocal. The aggregate purchase price was approximately 248.5 million USD, which consisted of 151.4 million in cash, a 22.1 million settlement of a pre-existing arrangement and a contingent consideration obligation with an aggregate acquisition-date fair value of $75.0 million
- In 2013, ALR acquired the following businesses for an aggregate purchase price of 57.6 million USD - certain assets of PT Mega Medika, Discount Diabetic, the Medicare fee-for-service assets of Liberty Medical, 51% share in Cardio Selfcare B.V, 74.9% interest in Pantech Proprietary Limited and Simplex Healthcare
- In 2012 Alere acquired eScreen for 270 million USD
- Alere expanded its business by acquiring many small companies, including Unipath, Ionian Technologies, TwistDx, Wampole Laboratories, Ostex International, Binax, Biosite, HemoSense, Cholestech, Redwood Toxicology, Concateno, BBI Holdings , Axis-Shield - worth 300 million USD
Total = 936 million USD
In February 2016, Abbott Laboratories announced it would acquire Alere Inc for $5.8 billion. However, in April, Abbott requested of Alere that this deal be terminated, a proposal rejected by Alere's board of directors